The EU has agreed on new military assistance to Ukraine. Last Minute GERMANY, Berlin, Russia headlines and events
EU foreign ministers met in Brussels ahead of an extraordinary EU summit to be held on February 9-10. At the meeting, an agreement was reached on a new package of military assistance to Ukraine.
With increasing pressure on Germany to send Leopard tanks to Kyiv, European Union foreign ministers today agreed on 500 million euros ($542 million) in military aid for Ukraine.
The seventh EU aid package for Ukraine arrived after a meeting of foreign ministers from 27 countries in Brussels. Finally, last week Western countries failed to send battle tanks to Ukraine, but promised billions of dollars of support.
Swedish and Czech officials said their foreign ministers have approved an additional 45 million “non-lethal equipment” for the EU military training mission in Ukraine, as well as a €500 million package.
“We resolutely continue to support the Ukrainian armed forces,” the Swedish Presidency of the EU said in a statement.
On the other hand, many of the ministers who came to the meeting said that it was of key importance that Germany gives permission to send Leopard tanks to Ukraine.
German Leopard tanks are used by the armies of various European countries. These tanks are considered one of the ideal tanks for Ukraine fighting against Russian occupation, but Berlin must allow the sale of these tanks. Berlin, on the other hand, is still resisting the issuance of the permit.
Poland said it would ask Germany for permission to send its existing Leopard tanks to Ukraine, and if other countries did, it could send the tanks to Ukraine without waiting for permission.
“At the moment, there is no good excuse to explain why battle tanks cannot be sent,” Latvian Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkevics said after arriving for the meeting in Brussels.
Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis said tanks should not wait another day, while Estonian Foreign Minister Urmas Reinsalu said that Germany, seen as Europe’s “engine”, has a special responsibility for helping Ukraine. Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn said Russia could win the war if Europeans don’t help Ukraine now with what it needs.
The EU diplomat said Germany did not like being pressured and warned that it might not be constructive.
German Foreign Minister Annalena Berbock at a meeting on Sunday
He declined to comment on his comments that Berlin would not interfere with Poland. “It is important to do everything possible to protect Ukraine,” Barbock said simply.
The center-left Social Democratic Party of German Chancellor Olaf Scholz believes that the West should avoid sudden moves that could spark a war. However, many EU allies reject Germany’s position and say Russia is already determined to continue its 11-month occupation of Ukraine.
While the EU is working on the tenth package of sanctions against Russia, Hungary has made it clear to Russia that it is opposed to further sanctions.
Hungarian Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó said: “All decisions that prolong the war and escalate tensions are contrary to our interests. Sanctions are proven to drive Europe into a dead end.”
broadcast by Voice of America EU agrees on new military aid to Ukraine in the news houra-ber.com editors have no editorial intervention. EU agrees on new military aid to Ukraine News is automatically published on our website as it comes from the Voice of America website. in this district EU agrees on new military aid to Ukraine The legal addressee of the news is the websites and agencies that published the news.
- Surprising words and phrases invented by the presidents of the United States
- Note from Azerbaijan to Iran!
- A maximum price could be set for Russian oil!
- Venezuela ranks first in food inflation in Latin America.
- Erdogan and Netanyahu spoke on the phone. Last Minute WORLD headlines and events
- Biden’s border security statement. Last Minute WORLD headlines and events
- Positive revision of forecasts for China from Goldman Sachs – WORLD
- News “They hope to escalate tensions with Turkey.” Last Minute EUROPE, CURRENT, TURKEY, Greece, news headlines and events
- Ali Babacan’s speech in Davos has become the agenda!
- The UN removes Iran from the Commission on the Status of Women. News headlines and events Last Minute Russia
- 60 percent of Americans are unhappy with Biden’s performance as president
- The agreement will be valid for 120 days. Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT headlines and events
- Year-end: China’s most important events in 2022 – WORLD
- News “One in five employees is a victim of violence and harassment in the workplace.” Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT headlines and events