News “One of the world’s greatest natural disasters.”
UN Secretary-General António Guterres called the earthquake in Turkey and Syria one of the biggest natural disasters in the world.
Guterres said at a press conference that the footage from the quake area was heartbreaking and said: “We have all seen the heroic effort, aid workers fighting to save lives. We mourn the death of people. The death toll continues to rise. Thousands of destroyed buildings. Tens of thousands of people are exposed to harsh winter conditions. Schools and hospitals have been destroyed. Children are horribly traumatized. We don’t see the full extent of the damage yet. eyes.”
UN Secretary-General Guterres said he knew the area where the earthquake hit very well and that he had been on duty many times, adding: “This area has long been a stronghold for refugees and displaced people. I will never forget my visits to this area. Turkey is the country hosting the largest number of refugees in the world. He showed unsurpassed generosity to his Syrian neighbors. Nearly 3.6 million Syrians have lived in Turkey for more than a decade. “The solidarity center has now become the epicenter of suffering,” he said.
“It is time for Turkey and the Syrian people to stand up”
Guterres said Martin Griffiths, UN assistant secretary general for humanitarian assistance, will visit Gaziantep, Aleppo and Damascus this week to determine what the UN can do in the region after the earthquake.
The UN Secretary-General said they would quickly send disaster experts, food, medical supplies, thermal blankets and first aid supplies to the region, and that aid would be on its way.
Calling on the international community to help Turkey and Syria, Guterres said: “I appeal to the international community in the face of this tragic disaster. They must support the peoples of Turkey and Syria. It is time for the peoples of Turkey and Syria to rise up,” he said.
Meanwhile, Guterres signed a book of condolences opened last night at the Permanent Mission of Turkey to the UN at the Turkevi Hotel in New York.
broadcast by Voice of America “One of the world’s greatest natural disasters” in the news hourA-ber.com editors have no editorial intervention. The news “One of the Greatest Natural Disasters in the World” is automatically published on our website as it comes from the Voice of America website. “One of the world’s greatest natural disasters” The legal addressee of the news is the websites and agencies that published the news.
- Surprising words and phrases invented by the presidents of the United States
- Note from Azerbaijan to Iran!
- A maximum price could be set for Russian oil!
- Venezuela ranks first in food inflation in Latin America.
- How Japan prepared for devastating earthquakes News. Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT headlines and events
- China to donate 200,000 euros for the security of nuclear facilities in Ukraine – MIR
- News of the program “New Ukraine” from the IMF. Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT headlines and events
- The most popular second languages in America might surprise you
- Hydroelectric power plant in China – WORLD
- News about Russia’s plan to strengthen the army while Zelensky is in the US. Last Minute UK, Russia headlines and events
- Venezuela resumes oil exports to America. Last Minute WORLD headlines and events
- “In 2022, the number of deaths of journalists is skyrocketing.” News headlines and events Last Minute Russia
- There are many reasons! Why do woodpeckers peck at tree trunks?
- Ecuador has introduced a new visa specifically designed for digital nomads