News of a spy case against a US citizen from Russia. News headlines and events Last Minute Russia
Russia’s Federal Security Agency (FSB) reported that a criminal case was opened against a US citizen on suspicion of espionage.
The FSB did not release the name or other identity details of the American citizen in question, nor did it provide information about whether he was arrested.
The FSB said in a statement that the suspected American was gathering intelligence related to biological issues that could threaten the security of the Russian Federation.
However, the contents of the charges were not disclosed.
The Reuters news agency was unable to contact the US embassy, where it sought an opinion on the matter.
The US State Department said it was aware of these “unconfirmed” reports.
“We are interested in this matter and continue to monitor it,” Deputy Foreign Ministry spokesman Vedant Patel told reporters.
Patel also stated that Russia often fails to fulfill its obligation to notify the detention of US citizens in Russia in a timely manner.
In Russia in recent years, a large number of American citizens have been arrested for criminal offenses. Some of them were released in exchange for Russian citizens detained in the United States.
In December, US basketball star Brittney Griner was released after being sentenced to nine years in prison for drug-related offenses.
Griner was exchanged for Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, who was sentenced to 14 years in the United States for arms smuggling, money laundering and conspiracy to kill Americans.
But espionage cases are of particular concern, as Russian security services are often reluctant to release people they accuse of espionage.
Russia has so far refused to release U.S. Marine Paul Whelan, who was arrested by the FSB in 2018 as part of a prisoner exchange. In 2020, Whelan was sentenced to 16 years in prison.
broadcast by Voice of America Espionage case against US citizen from Russia in the news houra-ber.com editors have no editorial intervention. News about a case of espionage against a US citizen from Russia is automatically posted on our website as it comes from the Voice of America website. in this district Espionage case against US citizen from Russia The legal addressee of the news is the websites and agencies that published the news.
- Surprising words and phrases invented by the presidents of the United States
- Note from Azerbaijan to Iran!
- A maximum price could be set for Russian oil!
- Venezuela ranks first in food inflation in Latin America.
- The air of India and Sri Lanka is breathtaking! – WORLD
- G20 final declaration: Central banks determined to achieve price stability – WORLD
- News about new US sanctions against a Russian mercenary group. News headlines and events Last Minute Russia
- China’s reaction to UK report on Hong Kong – WORLD
- French President Macron has arrived in Washington. Last Minute EUROPE, France, CURRENT headlines and events
- Song aid campaign news from elementary school children in England. Latest UK headlines and events
- News “Turkey is pushing Afghans away from the border with Iran.” Latest WORLD news headlines and events
- As clashes escalate in Soledar, Russia’s new name is launching a campaign in Ukraine. LATEST UPDATES, Russia headlines and events
- The Libyan court suspended the energy agreement with Turkey. Last Minute AFRICA, Greece, headlines and events
- Celestyal Cruises has been named the world’s leading cruise line for 2022. Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT, TOURISM news headlines and events