News Griner in prison in Mordovia, Russia. News headlines and events Last Minute Russia
American basketball star Brittney Griner, who was imprisoned in Russia, was sent to a prison in the Mordovian region of the country. Griner’s lawyers shared this information in a written statement.
Griner was arrested in February after cannabis cartridges were found in his suitcase at a Moscow airport and was sentenced in August to nine years in prison for drugs. On November 4, Griner was transferred from a detention center near Moscow to an unnamed prison.
The Russian authorities did not provide any information about Griner’s whereabouts for two weeks. However, a source who spoke to Reuters and was aware of the case said that Griner was taken to a women’s prison in Yavas, 500 kilometers southeast of Moscow.
It is known that in Yavas there is a prison in which the American Paul Whelan, who was sentenced to 16 years in prison on charges of espionage, is being held.
A US State Department spokesman said of Griner’s situation: “We are aware of news of her whereabouts and are in contact with Ms. Griner’s legal team. However, the Russian Federation did not make an official announcement that the American citizen was “The Embassy insists on getting more information about Griner’s move and his current whereabouts.”
Prisoners sent to prisons in remote areas of Russia work long hours at pensioner jobs such as sewing for very little pay. Former prisoners and human rights organizations describe the conditions in these prisons as cruel and unsanitary, and say access to medical care is difficult.
Russia and America discussed the exchange of Griner and Whelan with a Russian arms dealer imprisoned in the United States. However, these talks, which took place in the midst of escalating tensions over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, failed to reach an agreement.
Griner, who traveled to Russia to play for the Russian team after the U.S. basketball season, said he used cannabis to ease pain from injuries, that he had no intention of violating Russian laws, and that he accidentally had cannabis cartridges in his suitcase. .
broadcast by Voice of America Griner in a prison in Mordovia, Russia in the news houra-ber.com editors have no editorial intervention. News about Griner in a prison in the Mordovian region of Russia is automatically posted on our website as it comes from the Voice of America website. in this district Griner in a prison in Mordovia, Russia The legal addressee of the news is the websites and agencies that published the news.
- Surprising words and phrases invented by the presidents of the United States
- Note from Azerbaijan to Iran!
- A maximum price could be set for Russian oil!
- Venezuela ranks first in food inflation in Latin America.
- Downshift signal from Fed member – MIR
- 6 signs that the job is fake
- Wall Street split over the Fed – WORLD
- News “Russian attacks on the energy infrastructure of Ukraine mean genocide.” News headlines and events Last Minute Russia
- FIFA president criticizes Qatar too harshly ahead of World Cup news. Last Minute ASIA, WORLD, Football, CURRENT, SPORTS news headlines and events
- News about the withdrawal of Russian troops from Ukraine after the goal of Kherson. Last Minute EUROPE, CURRENT, Russian news and events
- Application for renting a fan in Qatar! – Kent News Agency
- Xi Jinping urges IMF: “SDR process for low-income countries should be accelerated” – WORLD
- NATO News Guarantee for Ukraine and Russia’s Neighbors. Last Minute EUROPE, CURRENT headlines and events
- What is a grand jury?