Macron will meet with Biden in Washington. Last Minute EUROPE, France, CURRENT headlines and events
French President Emmanuel Macron arrived in Washington last night for a three-day official visit. Macron became the first French president to receive two official invitations from the United States. Like former US President Donald Trump, President Joe Biden extended his first formal invitation to visit French President Emmanuel Macron.
Macron, who made his first transatlantic official visit under former President Donald Trump in 2018, became the first French leader to be hosted by the White House for the second time.
The Elysee Palace regarded this double invitation, which has great diplomatic and symbolic weight, as “evidence of the strength of the special relationship between the two countries and an extremely strong alliance, fueled by dynamic dialogue.”
The French President and his wife Brigitte Macron, who are in Washington on a busy schedule, will meet Joe and Jill Biden for dinner at the White House this evening.
From the Aucus Agreement to the war in Ukraine
Macron’s visit to Washington was scheduled to defuse tensions when President Joe Biden snatched a multibillion-dollar Australian nuclear submarine (AUKUS) contract from France shortly after he took office. However, the war in Ukraine has completely changed the agenda of the two leaders.
French President Macron and US President Biden
On the first day of the trip, Macron will take part in a program dedicated to bilateral cooperation in space with Vice President Kamala Harris.
The meeting between Biden and Macron, which France is looking forward to, will take place on Thursday, December 1. After this meeting, which promises to be lengthy, the leaders of the two countries will hold a joint press conference.
Anti-inflation law on the agenda
The meeting will discuss the Ukrainian war and the alliance with NATO, the fight against inflation, the energy crisis and bilateral relations. At the center of the talks will be the Inflation Control Act (IRA), which includes a $365 billion subsidy introduced by President Biden in August.
French Prime Minister Elisabeth Born said the law was contrary to international competition rules and that she would file a complaint with the World Trade Organization if necessary.
Macron will ask Biden to introduce exemptions for European companies from the Inflation Reduction Act, which provides huge subsidies to some important sectors, especially the electric vehicle sector, and undermines the competitiveness of the European economy.
The French president hopes to receive “benefits” from the US administration, which wants to return a significant part of the industrial investments associated with the energy transition, thereby “mitigating the impact of the IRA on European companies.”
Macron will fly to New Orleans on the morning of December 2, the third day of his trip. During this visit, Macron is accompanied by Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire, Foreign Minister Catherine Colonna and 6 ministers and parliamentarians.
A large group of businessmen, including LVMH Moet Hennessy, one of the richest businessmen in the world, Berbar Arnault, boss of Louis Vuitton, Patrick Pouyanne, boss of Total Energies, Luc Remond, boss of nuclear giant EDF, and Xavier Neal, head of Free Telecom, enter to the delegation.
broadcast by Voice of America Macron to meet Biden in Washington in the news houra-ber.com editors have no editorial intervention. The news that Macron will meet with Biden in Washington is automatically posted on our website because it comes from the Voice of America website. in this district Macron to meet Biden in Washington The legal addressee of the news is the websites and agencies that published the news.
- Surprising words and phrases invented by the presidents of the United States
- Note from Azerbaijan to Iran!
- A maximum price could be set for Russian oil!
- Venezuela ranks first in food inflation in Latin America.
- $1.44 billion investment in natural gas from Norway – WORLD
- Despite the slowdown in the French economy, “permanent” news. News headlines and events from Last Minute France
- News about the violation of airspace in the Taiwan Strait from the Chinese Air Force. Last Minute WORLD headlines and events
- News of $5 billion deposit from Saudi Arabia to CBRT. Last Minute WORLD headlines and events
- Will the Islamic Revolutionary Guards be on the EU terrorist list? News. Last Minute GERMANY, France, Netherlands, England, Russia headlines and events
- More than 100 ships detained in the strait – MIR
- News about the attack of drones on the Iranian military plant. Last Minute WORLD headlines and events
- News about the mad cow disease incident in the Netherlands. Top Dutch news headlines and events
- News about the official application for a permit for a leopard from Poland to Germany. Last Minute GERMANY, Berlin, Russia headlines and events
- More than 5,000 police officers are taking action in Brussels, the capital of Belgium.