In the news of 2022, global press freedom comes under heavy pressure. Last Minute WORLDWIDE, CURRENT, POLITICAL news headlines and events
As COVID-related restrictions ease, more journalists are on the ground in 2022. At a time when conflicts are escalating, this has also led to a significant increase in the number of deaths and imprisonment of journalists in the past year.
Violence in Mexico, the war in Ukraine, repressive laws and operations against the media have made 2022 a difficult year for the media.
Arrests and fatal violence were greater than ever in 2022, with journalists covering protests in Iran imprisoned or journalists killed in the conflict in the West Bank.
Press freedom has fallen in 2022, according to media watchers.
Reporters Without Borders announced that 533 journalists have been arrested and 57 killed this year.
China, Myanmar and Iran are the countries where journalists are most often imprisoned.
Mexico, Ukraine and Haiti were relatively deadly regions for journalists in 2022.
After invading Ukraine, Russia passed suffocating laws banning reporting, and major news outlets were forced to shut down.
In Ukraine, the media also tried to protect their employees by trying to inform the public.
“Wars have never been easy to watch,” Kyiv-based journalist Olga Rudenko said. But especially if there is a war in your country and you are not a journalist who arrives at the scene and then can safely return home. Neither you nor your family are safe,” she says.
But not only battlefields are dangerous for journalists. Violence and attacks on journalists in Mexico led to the deadliest year yet.
Article 19 Paula Saucedo of the Human Rights Organization draws attention to the threat of violence faced by journalists: “We are most concerned about the lethal violence. Because when a journalist is killed, it’s a double homicide. News about the murdered man is hushed up, and nothing is reported about the investigation. This creates a strong and growing atmosphere of fear and censorship.”
China is a leader in media censorship and its influence is most felt in Hong Kong.
Experts say the case for Jimmy Lai, founder of the Apple Daily, is to send a message.
According to Keith Richburg of the Foreign Journalists’ Club of Hong Kong, “National security cases like this send the message that if it can happen to powerful people like Jimmy Lai, then it can happen to anyone.”
Repressive governments elsewhere also block access to reliable media, such as in Afghanistan.
The Taliban have banned the Voice of America from broadcasting, but journalists say they will continue their work.
Shaista Sadat Lamy of VOA Afghanistan said: “People trust us and want to hear from us. They will find us no matter what,” he said.
broadcast by Voice of America Global press freedom hit hard in 2022 in the news houra-ber.com editors have no editorial intervention. News about the global damage to press freedom in 2022 is automatically posted on our website as it comes from the Voice of America website. in this area Global press freedom hit hard in 2022 The legal addressee of the news is the websites and agencies that published the news.
- Surprising words and phrases invented by the presidents of the United States
- Note from Azerbaijan to Iran!
- A maximum price could be set for Russian oil!
- Venezuela ranks first in food inflation in Latin America.
- Good news for pilgrims: there are no age and age restrictions this year!
- News about the rapid spread of the XBB.1.5 variant of COVID-19. Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT headlines and events
- Kremlin: The news about the delivery of Leopard to Ukraine leaves its mark on German-Russian relations. Last Minute EUROPE, CURRENT, POLITICS, Russian news, news headlines and events
- News of a knife attack at a train station in Paris. Last Minute France, England headlines and events
- Market value of Beijing Stock Exchange approaches 200 billion yuan – WORLD
- Refusal of the Supreme Court of Sweden to extradite the Kenesh. Last Minute EUROPE, CURRENT, POLITICS, TURKEY headlines and events
- Celestyal Cruises has been named the world’s leading cruise line for 2022. Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT, TOURISM news headlines and events
- A donation of 1 billion euros for Ukraine was collected in Paris. Last Minute EUROPE, France, CURRENT, POLITICS, Russia headlines and events
- “Friendly approach is one of the important factors influencing the preferences of Chinese tourists” – WORLD
- News “The economic downturn will further distort social justice.” Last Minute WORLD headlines and events