Height Discrimination: Does Short Height Affect Our Lives and Careers?
Today, people are discriminated against in many ways. Color, gender, weight, race, character … It is easy to guess that a similar discrimination exists in terms of height. So what is size discrimination? Although it is difficult to detect height discrimination, it is clear that there is some bias in this regard. So much so that there is some evidence that growth affects business life. Let’s take a closer look at this interesting subject.
Height discrimination is one of the least discussed and most complex types of discrimination in the world.
Because it’s a hidden bias. In other words, we develop this bias because of things that happen in our subconscious without even realizing it. As an adjunct professor at the University of Haifa and working on the issue of height discrimination, Dr. Omer Kimkhi traces the origin of height discrimination to ancient times. According to him, there is a bias in the evolutionary process due to the importance of growth and strength in the animal kingdom.: “If you’re bigger, you’re the head of the group. Some of this is still established… and we perceive status as being associated with authority, power and higher position.” uses expressions.
Many experts believe that respect for height is instinctive and that it is an evolutionary prejudice.
However, a doctor from the University of Liverpool. Erin Pritchard argues that there are many factors in today’s world that increase height discrimination: “Different countries have their own optimal heights, and this height is becoming mandatory for everyone. If you’re below that [bir şeylerin] we ask if it’s wrong, but we respect the length”
Indeed, many of us consider taller people to be superior, talented, and charismatic. On the other hand, according to Pritchard, those who are shorter are not taken seriously, are not respected, and can even be played with.
Scientific studies show that height affects the careers of both men and women.
Studies examining the degree of discrimination in employment show that short candidates can be rejected even if their resumes are similar. Post-work studies show that promotion is directly proportional to height.
Taller workers seem to have higher incomes
While the exact numbers vary, studies from the UK, China and the US show that taller people earn more. Studies show that tall people are perceived as “leaders”. Therefore, we think that they are smarter, healthier and more dominant. Thus, the opportunities of higher people for promotion are positively affected. Therefore, we often see especially tall men in leadership positions.
Inas R. Kelly, an economics professor at Loyola Marymount University, argues that height is linked to cognitive ability, and that tall people are valued in the job market.
Although we often encounter height discrimination, as we mentioned above, this type of discrimination is implicit. For this reason, there is very little legal regulation on the subject. For example, Michigan laws prohibit height discrimination in employment and wages. Despite such a law, many people can sue for height discrimination. While such laws have been enacted in all parts of the world, this discrimination will continue as long as we continue to believe that success and leadership have an aspect. Nevertheless, scientists and lawyers continue to take important steps in the fight against height discrimination.
- Surprising words and phrases invented by the presidents of the United States
- Note from Azerbaijan to Iran!
- A maximum price could be set for Russian oil!
- Venezuela ranks first in food inflation in Latin America.
- International Markets – WORLD – World Journal of Economics
- News about Putin’s ban on the sale of oil to countries with maximum prices. Last Minute EUROPE, CURRENT, Russian news and events
- News of Russia’s plan to increase the combat capability of the Armed Forces. News headlines and events Last Minute Russia
- Russian actors imitate Macron and fool Dude Last Minute EUROPE, France, NOW, Russia headlines and events
- The number of votes cast abroad has been announced!
- The online sale of paracetamol is banned in France. Last Minute EUROPE, France, CURRENT headlines and events
- Musk announced that the US wants to close 250 thousand accounts – WORLD
- Qatar agreed to sell LNG to Germany. Last Minute GERMANY, Berlin, Russia headlines and events
- News about the escape of migrants on a plane that made an emergency landing in Spain. Last Minute EUROPE, CURRENT, Spain headlines and events
- Will Natural Gardens Replace the Great American Lawn?
Leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.