Former FBI officer charged with violating sanctions. News headlines and events Last Minute Russia
Former high-ranking FBI official Charles McGonigal is accused of violating U.S. sanctions on Russia by receiving secret payments from Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska.
Charles McGonigal, who led the agency’s counterintelligence arm in New York until his retirement in 2018, was arrested on Saturday, prosecutors said today.
McGonigal is accused of investigating a rival oligarch in 2021 on behalf of Deripaska, who was sanctioned in 2018.
Prosecutors also said McGonigal made an unsuccessful attempt to lift sanctions on Deripaska in 2019. Deripaska is the founder of the Russian aluminum company Rusal.
McGonigal’s attorney did not respond to a request for comment.
Charles McGonigal is expected to appear in federal court in Manhattan today along with former Russian diplomat Sergei Shestakov, who later became a US citizen and is charged in the same case.
Sergei Shestakov also worked as a Russian language translator in courts and government agencies.
Deripaska is among nearly twenty Russian oligarchs and government officials blacklisted by Washington in 2018 over allegations of Russian interference in the 2016 US election. Deripaska and the Kremlin denied interfering in the election.
Deripaska and Shestakov also did not respond to requests for comment.
Charles McGonigal, 54, of New York, and Sergei Shestakov, 69, of Morris County, Connecticut, were in the Southern District of New York today in violation of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), conspiring to violate, money laundering and he will stand trial on charges of conspiracy to launder money.
7 Russian oligarchs, including aluminum-rich and close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, Oleg Deripaska, as well as those with voting rights in their ownership or control. It included 12 companies. On the same day, 17 high-ranking Russian officials and a Russian state arms trading company were sanctioned.
broadcast by Voice of America Former FBI officer charged with violating sanctions in the news houra-ber.com editors have no editorial intervention. News about a former FBI official accused of violating sanctions is automatically posted on our site because it comes from the Voice of America website. in this district Former FBI officer charged with violating sanctions The legal addressee of the news is the websites and agencies that published the news.
- Surprising words and phrases invented by the presidents of the United States
- Note from Azerbaijan to Iran!
- A maximum price could be set for Russian oil!
- Venezuela ranks first in food inflation in Latin America.
- News “Greece is trying to present its problems with Turkey as Turkey-NATO, US, EU problems.” Last minute Greece news headlines and events
- Record news in defense spending in Europe. Last Minute GERMANY, Russia, Greece headlines and events
- At least 26 murders per day in Venezuela last year. Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT headlines and events
- Thanks and farewell messages to Pele. Last Minute WORLD, Football, CURRENT, SPORTS news headlines and events
- News of negotiations on military cooperation between Sweden and the United States. Top news and events in EUROPE
- Is settlement building in Syria population engineering? News. News headlines and events from Last Minute France
- Leopard 2 Challenger 2 news from Abrams and Leclerc. Last Minute GERMANY, Austria, Berlin, France, England, Spain, Russia, Greece headlines and events
- China-Laos Railway carries 9 million passengers – WORLD
- What is a coca-cola flower? History, care and production
- Xi unveils China’s vision for global development – WORLD