An influenza epidemic has been officially declared in Belgium. Last Minute EUROPE, Belgium, CURRENT headlines and events
It was reported that the necessary conditions were met for the official declaration of an influenza epidemic in Belgium.
The Belgian National Institute of Public Health (Sciensano) said that there has been a rapid increase in the incidence of influenza, as seen in laboratory tests and hospitalizations, as well as in the results of medical examinations.
In addition to influenza (flu) and bronchitis viruses, other viruses that cause coronavirus and respiratory diseases are common among the population, the institute said.
Sciensano spokesman Stephen Van Gucht, who is advising the Belgian government on the fight against the Covid-19 epidemic, said: “We have started to see as many flu cases in our hospitals as Covid-19 cases. It is very likely that those with the flu were hospitalized. outnumber the number of Covid-19 cases. used the phrase.
Van Gucht advised everyone to wash their hands thoroughly, wear masks in crowded places, stay home when sick, ventilate enclosed spaces and get a flu shot if possible.
Before Belgium, an official influenza epidemic was announced in Germany and Slovakia.
The burden on hospitals has increased
The strain on hospitals was reported to have increased as cases of influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) were added to the country’s COVID-19 cases.
It was stated that the admission of patients to some hospitals has slowed down due to the fact that a large number of health workers fell ill with such diseases.
It was announced that many employees of UZ Leuven, the hospital of the University of Leuven, one of the largest universities in Belgium, fell ill, so non-emergency hospitalization of patients was postponed.
The chief physician of the hospital, Geert Van Asche, said that after the Christmas holidays, many elderly people, especially the elderly, began to come to the hospital with complaints of respiratory tract infections.
“We are expecting a heavy flu season.” Van Asch said that this situation, combined with a shortage of staff, has put a lot of strain on hospitals.
- Surprising words and phrases invented by the presidents of the United States
- Note from Azerbaijan to Iran!
- A maximum price could be set for Russian oil!
- Venezuela ranks first in food inflation in Latin America.
- Extension of the smoking ban in Belgium. Last Minute EUROPE, Belgium, CURRENT headlines and events
- News “The war in Ukraine will slow down in winter.” News headlines and events Last Minute Russia
- News of the world champion of Argentina. News headlines and events from Last Minute France
- Zelensky visited the border troops Last Minute UK, Russia headlines and events
- The world welcomes the new year. Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT headlines and events
- Xi and Biden talked on the phone – WORLD
- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz gave the green light for the supply of Leopard tanks to Ukraine. Last Minute GERMANY, Berlin, France, Spain, Russia, Greece headlines and events
- “Journalists and press freedom under attack.” Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT headlines and events
- News that Marders will be delivered to Ukraine instead of Greece. Last Minute GERMANY, Greece headlines and events
- The world population is over 8 billion. Last Minute WORLD, CURRENT headlines and events